Android Studio is the official IDE for Android development, and with a single download includes everything you need to begin developing Android apps:
- IntelliJ IDE + Android Studio plugin
- Android SDK Tools
- Android Platform-tools
- A version of the Android platform
- A version of the Android system image for the emulator
For an introduction to Android Studio, read the Android Studio guide.
Periodic updates are pushed to Android Studio without requiring you to update from here. To manually check for updates, select Help > Check for updates (on Mac, select Android Studio > Check for updates).
The sections below provide notes about successive releases of Android Studio, as denoted by revision number.
Android Studio v1.0.1 (December 2014)
Various fixes and enhancements:
- Fixed AVD Manager and device.xml file lock issue.
- Fixed the emulator log on Windows systems.
- Fixed issue with creating AVDs with Android Studio and Android SDK installed on different drives on Windows systems.
- Sets the default update channel for new downloads to Stable. If you installed the 1.0.0 version of Android Studio and would like stable, production-ready version updates, use File > Settings > Updates to change to the Stable update channel.